The Long Island Rail Road strike ended Monday night when the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and its five rail unions agreed to a tentative wage deal, restarting service at noon Tuesday on a network that moves roughly 300,000 commuters each weekday.
The settlement closes the first LIRR walkout in 32 years and, per Governor Kathy Hochul, shields riders from any fare hike. Five union memberships still need to ratify the contract before it counts, and conductors and maintenance workers have been working without one for two and a half years.
The 9 P.M. Handshake
Hochul announced the deal on X just before 9 P.M. Monday, capping marathon weekend bargaining brokered by the National Mediation Board (NMB, the federal agency that handles US railway labor disputes) after both sides returned to the table Sunday evening. The job action had begun at 12:01 A.M. Saturday, the soonest the unions could legally walk after a six-month negotiation window and a 60-day cooling period required by federal rail-labor rules.
MTA Chief Executive Janno Lieber said the strike would officially end at midnight Tuesday, with trains held off the morning commute while inspections and crew call-backs ran. Robert Free, the LIRR’s president, mapped out the phased restart at a Monday evening briefing outside MTA headquarters in Lower Manhattan, and said shuttle buses would continue running for the early shift.
- Noon Tuesday: hourly service on the Port Washington, Huntington, Ronkonkoma and Babylon branches
- About 4 P.M.: all branches back to a normal weekday schedule for the afternoon and evening rush
- 4:30 A.M. to 9 A.M.: contingency shuttle buses still ferry early commuters to Queens subway stations
“The strike is going to be over and there are people who are reporting to work in this hour and in the hours to come to resume service,” Lieber said.
Where the Two Sides Had Been Stuck
The fight was always less about whether to raise wages than by how much. Both sides had already agreed on a 3% increase for 2023, another 3% for 2024, and 3.5% for 2025 during earlier rounds. The 2026 number is where talks broke.
The unions, a coalition fronted by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET, the union representing engineers and trainmen), pushed for 5% in year four, lifting the headline package to roughly 14.5% over four years. The MTA’s last public offer pegged the four-year total nearer 10.5%, a gap the union side described publicly as about a percentage point apart on the final year.
Health-care contributions were the second pressure point. Kevin Sexton, BLET’s national vice president, told reporters Saturday that salary increases and health-care costs were where the prior weekend round had stalled.
Final settlement numbers were withheld pending member review. The table below tracks where public bargaining stood as of the weekend deadline.
| Contract Year | Union Position | MTA Position |
|---|---|---|
| 2023 | 3% (agreed) | 3% (agreed) |
| 2024 | 3% (agreed) | 3% (agreed) |
| 2025 | 3.5% (agreed) | 3.5% (agreed) |
| 2026 | 5% | ~4.5% |
| Four-year total | ~14.5% | ~10.5% |
Hochul’s Two Lines: No Fares, No Taxes
Hochul came into the weekend with two non-negotiables, and she stated them flatly Monday night.
At a time when everything is going up, we all know the story, I was not going to allow taxes or fares to go up.
That came from the governor at MTA headquarters in Lower Manhattan, hours after her negotiators closed the deal.
The posture matters because the MTA enters the back half of the decade with thin cover. The authority reaffirmed its balanced 2026 operating budget in November, leaning on $675 million of new operating efficiencies. The same plan flags out-year gaps of $160 million in 2027, $243 million in 2028, and $306 million in 2029, with an underlying structural shortfall reaching $1.1 billion by 2029. Anything the LIRR contract pushes into operating costs has to fit inside that envelope.
Lieber, who shared the lectern with the governor, said the agreement was built to clear the political bar she set. “The whole point was that we needed to find ways that we could give people fair raises, but also structure it in a way that didn’t blow the MTA budget. We got it done,” he said.
The $61 Million Daily Bill
The number Albany kept circulating during the walkout was State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli’s estimate that the strike could drain as much as $61 million in daily regional activity. The Long Island Association, the region’s largest business group, went higher, putting the daily hit at up to $70 million. The Regional Plan Association laid out the wider canvas in a commuter-dividend analysis: more than 321,000 Long Islanders work for New York City employers and bring home roughly $59.1 billion in annual earnings between them.
- $61 million in daily regional economic activity at risk, per the state comptroller
- Up to $70 million in daily lost spending, per the Long Island Association
- $227 million in commuter earnings exposed across Long Island and New York City each day, per RPA
- 300,000 daily riders pulled off the system; the MTA’s shuttle plan had room for 13,000
Just over 2,100 commuters actually used the shuttle Monday morning, the MTA said. The rest worked from home, drove, paid for Uber rides, or did all three. Kevin Pierre-Louis, a Bayshore resident, said his Uber to Queens ran $100 before he boarded a two-hour shuttle to Manhattan. He planned to work from home Tuesday. Josephine Pantell of Seaford left her house at 7:30 A.M. and punched in at 11:23 A.M., according to her account at the Howard Beach-JFK station.
The 1994 Echo, and How This One Broke Differently
The last LIRR walkout was June 1994. Then, as now, conductors and maintenance workers had spent roughly two and a half years without a contract before going out. The difference came in who shut it down.
Then-Governor Mario Cuomo’s administration imposed a contract settlement after two days back then. This time the National Mediation Board hauled both sides into the room on Sunday evening and the deal came out of negotiated bargaining rather than gubernatorial fiat. Three days versus two; an end through agreement rather than imposition.
The federal piece carries its own backstory. Hochul has accused the Trump administration of cutting mediation short last September, when union members first voted to authorize a strike and a presidential emergency board could have been convened earlier. During the walkout, President Donald Trump publicly faulted the governor and suggested Bruce Blakeman, his preferred Republican challenger in the governorship race, could have closed the deal faster. He also offered to step in himself; he did not.
Recent overseas labor disputes have run a calmer course. The Scottish resident doctors who pulled a planned strike and the Scottish teaching union that scrapped its walkout both reached deals before service was actually disrupted. The LIRR went the other way.
Ratification Is the Next Cliff
The deal is tentative until each of the five LIRR union memberships ratifies it, a process that typically runs about 30 days. If any single membership rejects, the strike clock can restart and federal cooling-off rules reset.
Sexton kept the lid tight at the union briefing Monday. “Due to the nature of the negotiations, we cannot discuss the specifics,” he said. “What we can say is that we are looking forward to our members getting back to work and doing what they do best, which is serving the region.” Other union officials told reporters the silence is deliberate risk management; the worry, internally, is failing the ratification vote and having to start over.
- The 2026 wage figure, the line that broke the previous round of talks
- Health-care cost shares, the second issue Sexton flagged when bargaining collapsed
- Work-rule language, particularly around overtime, seniority and route assignment
- Retroactive pay covering 32 months without a contract
- The length of the agreement, since a longer deal locks in raises but caps upside if inflation rebounds
If the five unions ratify cleanly in June, the MTA closes its 2026 books on a contract its budget plan can absorb and the federal mediation board steps off the field. If even one membership balks, Long Island wakes up to another midnight deadline and another scramble for shuttle buses, this time without the surprise discount a first walkout in three decades carried.
