As the Scottish Premiership witnessed a Hallowe’en thriller, Hibernian FC’s aspirations to climb the league table were dashed in a dramatic 2-2 draw against Ross County. The match, filled with twists and turns, left fans on the edge of their seats and the team’s fate hanging in the balance.
Elie Youan and Jair Tavares Shine for Hibs
Hibernian FC’s Elie Youan and Jair Tavares delivered standout performances, with Youan’s deflected shot opening the scoring and Tavares’s powerful drive doubling their lead. Their efforts, however, were overshadowed by a resilient comeback from Ross County.
- Youan’s Goal: A 30-yard run culminating in a right-footed shot deflected for a goal.
- Tavares’s Impact: The ex-Benfica winger’s rasping shot showcased his revitalized form under manager Nick Montgomery.
Ross County’s Comeback: Substitutions That Turned the Tide
Malky Mackay’s strategic substitutions for Ross County proved pivotal as they clawed back into the game. Yan Dhanda’s involvement in both goals and Jordan White’s equalizer exemplified the team’s fighting spirit.
- Strategic Changes: Dhanda and White coming off the bench to influence the game.
- Equalizing Efforts: White’s emphatic finish brought Ross County level, capping off their spirited fightback.
Goalkeeping Woes: Wollacott’s Unfortunate Debut
Jojo Wollacott, making his first league start for Hibs, faced a challenging night as his missed cross led to an own goal. The goalkeeper’s performance became a talking point as it contributed to Hibs’ inability to secure a win.
- Missed Cross: A critical error leading to Allan Delferriere’s own goal.
- Pressure Moments: Wollacott turned over a header late in the game, keeping the score level but raising questions about his future starts.
Tactical Shifts: Montgomery’s Decisions Under Scrutiny
Nick Montgomery made several changes to Hibs’ lineup, sparking debate over his tactical approach. The alterations had mixed results, leaving fans and analysts dissecting his strategy.
- Lineup Changes: Notable switches included Wollacott for Marshall and Stevenson for Obita.
- Tactical Analysis: The decision to replace holding midfielder James Jeggo and centre-half Rocky Bushiri is questioned after Hibs’ lead slipped away.
Premiership Standings: Hibs and Ross County Left Wanting
The draw left both teams in a precarious position in the league standings. With Hibs booed off by their fans, the pressure mounts as they prepare for upcoming fixtures.
- League Positions: Hibs sit in eighth place, with Ross County close behind in ninth.
- Fan Reaction: Disappointment and frustration from supporters as Hibs fail to capitalize on their lead.