Victim had history of violence and dated lottery winner Jane Park
Marc Webley, a 38-year-old man with a history of involvement in gangland violence, was shot dead outside the Anchor Inn pub in Granton on New Year’s Eve. He had been celebrating with friends at the pub before he was gunned down shortly before midnight. Another man, 39, was also injured in the shooting and is in a serious but stable condition in hospital.
Webley had previously dated Jane Park, the UK’s youngest EuroMillions lottery winner, who won £1 million in 2013 when she was 17. She said she was “devastated” by his death and posted a tribute to him on her Instagram story. She wrote: “I can’t believe I’m writing this, we spoke yesterday. If I could cuddle you again and tell you everything is going to be OK I would give anything to do it, Marc. The months we spent together, you taught me some valuable things in life and I’ll never ever forget you. I am absolutely devastated. The best bed for you is up there My Handsome.”
Police launch murder investigation and appeal for witnesses
Police Scotland said the fatal shooting appeared to be a “targeted incident” and launched a murder investigation. They appealed for anyone with information, especially those who have private CCTV, doorbell footage or dashcam of the Granton Crescent/Road area around the time of the incident, to come forward.
Detective Superintendent Graham Grant said: “This is believed to have been a targeted incident and our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of both men involved. Inquiries are at a very early stage to establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened, and while officers have already gathered CCTV and spoken to various people who were in the area at the time, I’d urge anyone with information who hasn’t yet spoken to us to come forward. This incident will undoubtedly have caused concern in the local community and officers will be carrying out extra patrols of the area and I’d like to reassure the public that everything possible is being done to trace whoever is responsible.”
Victim had posted videos taunting rivals and carried guns
Webley had a history of involvement in gangland violence and had been convicted of attempted murder in 2005. He was sentenced to 11 years in prison for shooting an underworld rival in the back while wearing a balaclava and riding a motorbike. He was also cleared of two attempted murders in 2022 after being accused of trying to ram a car off the road.
According to some sources, Webley had been involved in a dispute with a well-known figure from the south of Edinburgh and had expected an attack. He had posted videos on social media apparently telling his rivals he would be in the pub and to “come get it”. He also reportedly carried guns around with him at all times.
His brother Don Webley posted a picture of him on Facebook on New Year’s Day and many people left messages of condolence. He wrote: “Marc went the day he wanted, the way he wanted and then laid down the gauntlet by saying ‘come and get it’.”
Police seize car four miles from murder scene
Police investigating the shooting have seized a car four miles from the murder scene. The silver Vauxhall Astra was found abandoned on West Pilton Place on Monday afternoon. It is not clear if the car was used by the killer or the victim, but police are examining it for any clues or evidence.
A local resident said: “I saw the car parked there on Saturday night and it was still there on Sunday morning. It looked suspicious because it had no number plates and it was covered in dust. I didn’t think much of it until I saw the police tape it off and take it away on Monday. I wonder if it has anything to do with the shooting.”