Widow Blasts Minister for Refusing to Strip Killer’s Bus Pass

The widow of a bus driver killed in a violent assault has expressed her fury after a Scottish Government minister refused to guarantee her husband’s killer will be banned from free travel upon his release.

Sue Rollinson described the comments made by Jim Fairlie as “disgusting” and “heart-breaking” after the minister declined to confirm if the teenager responsible for Keith Rollinson’s death would lose his entitlement to a free bus pass.

Minister Sparks Outrage with “Disrespectful” Claim

Keith Rollinson died in February 2024 following a brutal attack at Elgin bus station. The 58-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest after being assaulted by a 15-year-old boy who had been refused entry to the vehicle. The killer admitted to culpable homicide and received a sentence of four years and four months.

With the youth now facing potential release from secure accommodation within weeks, concerns have mounted regarding his travel privileges. Scottish Conservative MSP Douglas Lumsden challenged Agriculture and Connectivity Minister Jim Fairlie at Holyrood on Tuesday. He asked for a firm guarantee that the killer would not be allowed to travel free on buses again under new rules designed to tackle anti-social behaviour.

Fairlie attempted to shut down the line of questioning. He stated he could not discuss individual cases.

“I am not going to go any further with this conversation about Mr Rollinson,” Fairlie told the committee. “I think it is inappropriate. I think it is disrespectful and I am sorry Mr Lumsden I am finding this really distasteful.”

A viral, hyper-realistic YouTube thumbnail with a Crime/Political tension atmosphere. The background is a blurred, rainy Scottish street scene at twilight with a red bus in the distance with Dramatic, high-contrast lighting. The composition uses a Low Angle to focus on the main subject: a weathered, empty Driver's Cap resting on a wet pavement. The image features massive 3D typography with strict hierarchy: The Primary Text reads exactly: 'BETRAYED'. This text is massive, the largest element in the frame, rendered in Cracked Stone texture to look like a high-budget 3D render. The Secondary Text reads exactly: 'NO BAN GUARANTEED'. This text is significantly smaller, positioned below or next to the main text. It features a thick, distinct Red Warning Tape border/outline (sticker style) to contrast against the background. Make sure text 2 is always different theme, style, effect and border compared to text 1.

Widow Demands Apology for Hurtful Remarks

Sue Rollinson hit back immediately at the minister’s suggestion that discussing her late husband’s case was inappropriate. She told the Daily Record that the minister’s stance was a betrayal of justice and demanded he apologise for his choice of words.

“For Jim Fairlie to say that it is ‘inappropriate and disrespectful’ to talk about my husband is actually inappropriate and disrespectful,” Sue said. “In fact, his comments are disgusting and heart-breaking and he should apologise.”

She explained that her family is still living with the trauma of the attack. Sue noted that while the minister worries about the “tastefulness” of a political debate, she is left dealing with the reality that the person who killed her husband could soon be riding buses for free again.

“I am talking about Keith because he went out to work and never came home after being violently attacked,” she added. “As he lay dying, my daughters and I could not even touch him.”

New Rules for Anti-Social Behaviour

The controversy comes as SNP ministers back new legislation known as a Scottish Statutory Instrument (SSI). This law aims to strip young people of their free bus passes if they engage in anti-social behaviour. The free travel scheme for under-22s has been a flagship policy but faces criticism for fueling disorder on public transport.

Critics argue the legislation is too weak if it cannot guarantee that a killer is permanently banned from the network. Douglas Lumsden described the minister’s response as “shameful” and accused him of “pathetic handwringing.”

The current proposal involves a complex process for revocation. It requires transport operators and authorities to follow specific protocols before a pass is removed. This bureaucratic approach has led to fears that dangerous individuals might slip through the cracks.

Key facts about the case:

  • Victim: Keith Rollinson, 58, died in Feb 2024.
  • Attacker: 15-year-old male (now 17).
  • Sentence: 4 years and 4 months for culpable homicide.
  • Release: Eligible for release in early 2026.
  • Issue: Killer may retain free bus travel card upon release.

Political Backlash Intensifies

Opposition parties have seized on the exchange to highlight perceived failures in the Scottish Government’s justice and transport policies. They argue that the safety of bus drivers and passengers must take precedence over the travel privileges of violent offenders.

Fairlie maintained that the new SSI is about preventing future anti-social behaviour rather than applying retrospective punishment. He insisted that he could not offer guarantees on specific historical cases.

“It is about protecting people who are travelling on the buses,” Fairlie said during the committee meeting. “If people are carrying out anti-social behaviour, they have the sanction that can be placed against them.”

This explanation has done little to quell the anger of the Rollinson family. They worry that without a specific intervention, the killer could legally board a bus in Elgin shortly after his release.

Sue Rollinson remains determined to fight for her husband’s memory. She insists that a “soft touch” approach insults the victims of violent crime.

“He killed an innocent man two years ago but he could be freed and back home within weeks,” Lumsden said, echoing the widow’s concerns. “Does John Swinney think that is justice?”

The Scottish Government has yet to issue a further statement responding to Sue Rollinson’s demand for an apology.

Public anger over the case continues to grow as the killer’s release date approaches. The refusal to revoke the pass is seen by many as a failure to prioritize the rights of victims over offenders. Sue Rollinson hopes her speaking out will force a change in policy before it is too late.

What are your thoughts on this story? Should violent offenders automatically lose their right to free travel passes? Let us know in the comments below or share your opinion on social media using #KeithRollinson and #BusSafety.

By Axel Piper

Axel Piper is a renowned news writer based in Scotland, known for his insightful coverage of all the trending news stories. With his finger on the pulse of Scotland's ever-changing landscape, Axel brings the latest updates and breaking news to readers across the nation. His extensive knowledge of current affairs, combined with his impeccable research skills, allows him to provide accurate and comprehensive reporting on a wide range of topics. From politics to entertainment, sports to technology, Axel's articles are engaging and informative, keeping readers informed and up to date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts